Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Chapter 4



Chapter 4 gave me a lot to think about.  

As a student-teacher, one of the things that deflate a little bit of my excitement is the dreaded standardized test.  Not just a standardized test itself, but the thought  of being so consumed with anxiety over whether or not students are going to pass the test/s.  Similar to being a student in college “cramming” for a final exam in Psychology, I have this nightmare of being a teacher and just "cramming" to teach the content required every day.  That is not exactly what I had in mind when I first decided to become a teacher and I hope it’s far from the truth.   Instead, I expect that if I become an effective teacher, remain aware of what students need to know and master, and use numerous methods to accommodate the needs of my students, passing the tests will be more of a milestone, rather than an all-consuming aspect of teaching.  My anxieties and expectations see-saw depending on what I read or what I hear from others. The ideal I described is what pushes me forward to continue on my journey as a teacher. 
When I read about the group of history teachers on page 54 that got together, decided what “the big ideas” were and created a curriculum to included “readings, films, library research activities and small group presentations that gave deeper and more textured understandings”  I saw it as a promising sign.  The purpose of being a teacher is to help students connect to subjects, people, places, ideas, etc.  The tests are meant to measure, not dictate and we often lose sight of that.  These history teachers recognized that as long as they kept “the big ideas” as their focus, and they align with the standards put forth, they would be successful. I don't know what the final results were but I can only expect that they were positive.
                One other idea that struck me while reading this chapter is that I want to take the opportunity to work with other content teachers and help students make connections with the other subjects they are engaged in on a daily basis.  The Example at the opening of the chapter (the biography of E=mc2) really showed a great way to open horizons and build connections with other content.  In this example, not only are students reading but they are learning about an important historical discovery, in a way that will ensure they never forget the pertinent details.  Last week in class one of the teachers mentioned that she once planned a lesson with another content teacher, in order to help the students make an even deeper connection with a specific topic.  Why isn’t this something that is done more often?  It seems like it would be a genuinely successful practice.   It’s something I really want to explore.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean when you say your anxieties and expectations see-saw! I have the same experience after I hear from current teachers the stories of their work. Some speak of it as if its a dreaded job and others love it. However, it makes me think like you did, if we are effective teachers and plan early and use different teaching methods, I think we'll see the results we want to. If we get bogged down and cram a lesson together the night before I think those are the teachers who dread going to work everyday. I think for people like us who worry about anxiety over tests and the profession itself should take away the message that the key is to be organized and don't procrastinate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your thoughts on teachers in different content areas working together to make connections between classes. I feel that it would help students become more interested and understand the material better and should be done more often.

    ReplyDelete