Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Know Your Stuff

So I read the textbook two weeks ago.  As I flipped through it again tonight, what I thought I was going to discuss disappeared and something new came to my mind.  A bigger Idea .Well not the kind of "big idea" we have been discussing but a general observation of the reading.  What I realized while flipping through my text book was that what Daniels and Zemelman are showing us, by ripping apart textbooks as a tools, is that we need to know our text books.  There is too much information, not enough information, they are superficial and not written for students. That is the overall view, but within that overview was the message that if you know what's in your text book, you can find opportunities to expand your lessons with what is not there and also by using what is there.
The first idea I liked was the suggestion to use multiple sources to get a balanced view.   I remember reading an old encyclopedia from the sixties and there was a line about  Columbus' men and how 'unfortunately many were killed'.  That one word "unfortunately" showed a sympathetic expression for the white men who violently overtook the land and not nearly as sympathetic to the native people.  If an encyclopedia can show bias, so too can a text book.  It is important to remember that fact and look out for those sneaky agendas that can exist. In chapter six they discuss the importance of being familiar with what is on the assessments that the students will be required to take.  We talked about that a few weeks ago during the teacher panel and all of the teachers agreed that it was important.  I think knowing your assessment, (along with all of the standards) and knowing your textbook is the first step to take.  It will help you shape your "big idea" before planning your lessons for the year. When you know your material more fully it will lead to a better chance of success for both you and your students.

Another point I found interesting was that textbooks can be confusing.  I never thought of them as confusing.  All I remember was writing down "History Pg. 112-114, Q 3 &4" and when I got home I would open up and read, then answer the questions.  However, not everyone is like me and I do remember that there were many boxes on the pages that could be distracting, instead of helpful.  Which leads me to my second favorite suggestion.  In chapter 6, page 150 there is a "Textbook Feature Analysis".  I absolutely will use this idea.  I think it will create a cross-content lesson.  When you analyze the use of fonts, symbols and colors the students will be less distracted because they will know what the purpose is.  The same is true for symbols and boxes with added information.  They can decide if that is something to notate before or after the reading. Once you take away the mystery of the textbook students will be ready to concentrate on the information.  I hope...

So now I come to my difficulty.  I read the line "you have to decide to teach a few things well and fully--and let some other stuff slide"(146).  How do we decide which things to teach fully, and which to let slide?!  I am really hoping to get a great mentor or have a Dean of Pedagogy when I enter the work force!  If I'm on my own I'll have to be sure to 'know my stuff'.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stuff I let slide still challenges me and going at it alone defiantly compounds the issue. Not only do you have to know your stuff, but you have to be fair about the presentation as well. Textbooks will often have some bias, but so will we. Everyone does and there is nothing wrong with that per se, so long as we are aware of our leanings and make efforts to balance our choices. However, we can have an internal monologue all we want, but without another opinion chiming in on the choice of class material I will use, it makes it harder to be fair despite my efforts. Thus, "knowing your stuff" can have a much broader meaning.
    Adding on meaning to what we must do just increases the demands on a teacher without really helping. Especially if we don't have a Dean of Pedagogy. The solution I have to realizing my bias is talking to others. I really don't care if they are in the education filed or not either (at least in this case). For instance, I lean left on social issues. My go to friend who thinks much differently than me is an account with a passion for politics on the side. His title, however unrelated to education, doesn't matter to me. He points out my bias and where I can get some source material that doesn't just reflect my leaning. My friend doesn’t often change my mind completely, but he gives more food for thought that I would have missed otherwise. Other substitutes like friends and families could help if we do not have the resources we need right away.
    Though, I admit, I will be crying internally without a Dean of Pedagogy too since we all see how valuable B is to the school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you are saying here. Especially about watching out for bias textbooks. It is our job as teachers to make sure students are learning balanced views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too believe that textbooks are superficial and not written for students. This is why I think its essential for a balanced diet of reading, like we read about a few weeks ago.

    Its also a shame that money plays such a role into the politics of which books are bought and used.

    ReplyDelete