Wednesday, November 5, 2014

An Open Letter About a Sensitive Issue

Hi SED 407 classmates,

I made my letter open to you all because I would like to get your feedback on this subject as well.  Obviously our jobs are to be educators, not psychologist, but I feel like we may come to find that we need more information and assistance on a situation than we predicted, in order to fully assist a student in their education.  Hopefully we have a chance to discuss it in class but if not please share your thoughts with me!

Thanks,
Kyla

Kyla A. Cornier
Rhode Island College
Providence, RI

November 5, 2014

Ms. O
 Psychology Dept.
Rhode Island College
Providence, RI


Dear Ms. O,

                Thank You for taking part in the "Making it Personal" Workshop over this past Weekend.  I am currently a student in the Feinstein School of Education at Rhode Island College and on Saturday November 1st I attended the Multicultural Conference entitled “Promising Practices: Culturally Responsive Curricula in STEM.”  As part of the conference I chose to take part in the workshop lead by B C, someone I respect as an educator.  He engaged us in group activities that allowed us to reflect on how we could make the tasks more inclusive for all students.  This fit into the conference well as it continued the discussion on how to get all students to feel connected personally with their education. To my pleasant surprise you presented along with him.  You spoke about remaining sensitive to students' needs in the classroom and how trauma can effect a student’s engagement.  I found your information thought provoking.

 Part of my education here at RIC includes a class where I actively engage with the diverse community at CF High School. I read the description of the workshop and knew I wanted to learn more about engaging students with “culturally responsive curriculum and pedagogy while providing layers of health and wellness, social and emotional supports.”  As a student-teacher I have learned as much as one can from a book on classroom management, without actually practicing yet.  We have been given some basic strategies when it comes to difficulties that we may encounter.  Much of that relies on labeling students in order to categorize a situation.  This could include words such as defiant, disruptive, disengaged, etc.  Some attention has been given to informing us as to the reasons behind a student’s behavior through Educational Psychology.  I assume it will be the only formal knowledge given before I begin a career in teaching.  Your presentation was revealing and I have begun to realize the immense amount of insight needed to handle situations that might at first glance seem like a student just ‘wants to cause trouble.’  I began to consider more fully how this information will fit into my work as an educator.  Therefore, I have some questions I would like to ask.

As a teacher I am going to encounter sensitive situations that will require the assistance and/or intervention by a qualified professional.  In this event, how closely involved should I be and how well informed should I remain after I have made a situation known?   When I contemplate a scenario that may occur, I wonder what steps I need to take when a student continues to display behaviors that indicate the continuation of a personal struggle. Will the conversation continue between myself and the people involved in handling this aspect of social work?  I’m not sure if it is common practice for a teacher to work out strategies with the school social workers.  Is this something that you believe should be adopted as a part of my teaching philosophy? We discuss differentiated instruction often in our education.  However, it is most often through the lens of learning disabilities or differences. This brings to mind biological factors or factors that will often remain unchanged. You mentioned the fact that when a person endures a trauma it can affect their memory. I can see how traumas and circumstances outside of school can be brought into the learning environment and can hold a student back from progressing in their education as they once did.  This is something I had not thought of previously, when I considered differentiation.  Do you believe it is wholly encompassed in the differentiation we are learning to use or are there added supports I should actively engage with in these circumstances?  

Learning to be a teacher, we have been encouraged to find a mentor when we begin our career.  I can see the value in Mr. C’s position as Dean of Pedagogy at CF HS.  Having someone to discuss ideas and strategies to reach every student educationally is valuable. Mr. C alluded to the idea that 'it takes a village to raise a child' in his description of the workshop.  After your presentation, I’m beginning to contemplate the value that a relationship with the school psychologist could also have.  I would really like to get your feedback on this topic. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Kyla A. Cornier

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kyla,

    You have some really interesting questions that I can't answer with much authority. I do remember learning in my CEP class that most schools have some sort of procedure for these issues though, but I am not sure where you would find them.

    I also wanted to let you know that if you are worried about how to handle physiological issues, you should really research what schools require a school physiologist. For instance, many schools in MA don't and so their isn't one. Another fun tidbit I learned in my CEP class!

    I wish I could be of more help! Have you considered actually sending this letter to get your answers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having also participated in this work shop I think that these are some great questions that I would also like to know the answers to. Something else that I am also curious about is how can we as educators help students through any type of trauma or difficult situation they might be going through in the classroom. Are we expected to be more lenient on them and their work and cut them breaks or hold them to the same standards as the other students in our classroom so that their life may have some sense of normalcy? I think we could go on and on about questions regarding students who have gone through trauma or difficult situations and I wish the workshop had been longer so we could have learned more.

    ReplyDelete